Frequently asked questions
What will I need in order to get a valuation for my car?
You will need to provide us with the following in order to receive your online valuation:
- • Your vehicle registration number
- • The current mileage of your car
- • Personal contact information
If you would like to make an appointment with us following your online valuation, we will request some more details from you.
What factors affect the value given to my car?
There are many things which can impact the valuation given to your car. These could include the vehicle’s condition, service history, optional extras, number of previous owners and even the colour.
What is the process for valuing my car?
In order to generate an accurate valuation for your car, we use the vehicle information which you provide us, our own expertise and current market data. You will receive an online valuation first, and will then need to book an appointment at your local dealership for a follow up inspection.
How long is the vehicle valuation valid for?
Our expert valuations are valid for up to 7 days. We understand that selling your car isn’t something you want to rush, so that’s why we give you time to think about things. Whilst we are confident that you will always be getting the best price from us, there is zero pressure for you to accept straight away.
What happens after the online valuation?
Once you have received your valuation, you can book an appointment at your convenience, at any of our dealerships. You can make your appointment through our website and you will receive confirmation of this via email.
You don’t need to book your appointment right away – if you’d prefer to think about it, that’s no problem. If you do decide you’d like to book in at a later date, simply click the link in your valuation email or sign into your MyCar account where you’ll be able to arrange your appointment.
Are there specific valuation conditions?
These are as follows:
- • You must be the registered owner of the car, for at least 6 months
- You must be able to provide us with the vehicle logbook (V5c)
- On the day of hand over, your car must have a valid MOT certificate
- Your car must not be an import and needs to have been first registered in the UK (mainland)
- Your car cannot have been used as a taxi or as part of a driving school
- Your car must not have been in a major accident and must never have been written off
- Your should have 2 sets of keys
- Where applicable, the SatNav memory or Sim Card must be in the car
- The vehicle must have a spare wheel with a legal tyre, or a tyre inflation kit (if applicable)
- All interior fixings such as the parcel shelf should be included in the car
Your valuation is valid for 7 days and is based on the mileage and condition described.
What if I don’t meet the valuation conditions?
You may still be able to sell your car to us. Simply find your local dealership and book an appointment. A member of our team will be happy to talk through your specific circumstances.
If there is outstanding finance on my car, will you still buy it?
All you will need to is contact your finance company and request a valid settlement letter. Bring this letter with you to your appointment at Vertu; we will settle the outstanding balance and deduct it from the payment we give you for your car.
If you owe more finance than the value of your car, we can still buy the vehicle from you - you will just need to pay us the shortfall.
Important note: Until we have your car and have confirmed that all finance has been paid, it’s important that you do not cancel your direct debit to the finance company. If you do cancel this early, you risk owing a payment which you will be obliged to pay.
What will I need to have ready for my appointment?
For the vehicle inspection you will need:
- Your driving licence
- A bank statement – addressed to your name and home address and dated within the last 3 months
- Vehicle Registration V5 Document
- The service history records of your car
- Valid finance settlement letter – which shows the final settlement figure and finance company bank details (if applicable)
- All keys, including spares
- Any accessories related to the use of the vehicle, for example the user manual or locking wheel nut
How long will my appointment at the dealership last?
Your appointment will take between 30-60 minutes.
Are there any administration costs?
No. No matter what the value of your car is, rest assured there are no additional charges if you decide to sell your car to us.
Prior to my appointment to sell my car, should I cancel my car finance?
It’s really important that you do not cancel your direct debit early. Once we have received your car and have confirmed that all finance has been paid, you can then cancel the direct debit. If you do this too early, you may risk owing a payment which you will have to settle.
Do you buy cars which are in any condition?
It’s easiest to discuss this in person. If you’d like to speak to a member of our friendly team, simply book an appointment at your local dealership.
Do you buy non-runner vehicles?
No, we will not buy non-runners – the vehicle must start up properly.
If my car has a private registration, will you buy it?
Yes, that’s not an issue. However, the private registration plates will need to be removed prior to sale.
Can you value any vehicle?
We can only value cars which are priced under £25,000. However, if you think your car is worth more than £25,000, you can arrange an appointment at your local dealership, where a member of our team will be able to run through your options.
Do you accept video valuations?
No, unfortunately we do not. When you come to your appointment, you will need to bring your vehicle with you so we can carry out the valuation in person.
When will I receive my payment?
The payment for your car will be made at the appointment if you decide you want to sell your car to us. Payment will be made via BACS transfer and this usually takes around 3-5 working days to process.